Saturday, January 19, 2013

Okay.. I think I'm ready!

Well, the blog topic of discipline really put me in a spin. It's always such a difficult thing to discuss because there are so many opinions and so many people ready to judge. There are certain taboos about disciplining children. It's hard to know whether you are making the right choices because there is always so much outside input. I think being single parents makes it even more difficult because outsiders feel more that the need to give there opinions and "help out" about the right ways to raise children. I appreciate and thank everyone who thinks they have great advice, but please, STOP! Too much information makes me over think all the decisions I am making as a mother which has caused me to flip flop between discipline styles leading to a lack of controlled and routine discipline. I've only recently figured out what really works with us and what Layton responds to. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm mom of the year and do everything exactly as I should... things were a MESS. I had an uncontrollable menace of a child, and it's definitely taken time to figure out what works with him. He is an extremely strong willed boy and very sensitive to negativity. If I am calm and react to situations in a very mellow way, he listens to me contently. The moment I raise my voice, he fights back. The most important thing that I have learned is that love will solve most issues we face. Almost every time Layton acts out and wants to battle, a hug will calm him right down. So, in short, I guess my discipline style revolves around the expression of peace and love.

SMFS Kimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment