Monday, December 17, 2012

Admin...Creator...Colleague...Friend STACI

Well I started the blog thinking we wouldn't get much traffic but here we are and both my best friends/colleagues are embarking on this journey now with me and we could not be more excited!

Kim just introduced herself and where she comes from so I guess now its my turn since I have neglected to do so to begin with.

Who am I? I am Staci. I am a twin, sister, daughter, Aunt and most importantly I am a mother!

My journey began in London Ont while I was away at college. I met a guy when I was 21 and fell in love the minute I laid eyes on him. We didn't start dating until I had already moved back to Toronto when I was 22. When I graduated from George Brown in 2008 I decided to move back to London to be closer to my "boyfriend". We had a very up and down relationship and a lot of it had to do with the situation his mother was in. After 9 months of living in London I had discovered I was pregnant. We didn't take the news well and he was not willing to keep the baby. After much controversy I left London to be with my mother and figure it all out. I decided I was going to keep the baby and told him that he had time to decide what he wanted to do. 3 weeks later he had decided that we were going to move in together and make it work. We did! It was a picture perfect situation. We had a house on the lake and were very much in love at this point so I thought, until our son was born. He could not take the pressure and decided to leave us when our son was only 4 months old. I had no where to go or no one to turn to....the struggle was hard and working out living arrangements and custody agreements was next to unbearable. Again he cracked under pressure and left for 4 months without a trace when he came back to surface we decided on an agreement that fits us best and we have worked towards a friendship that benefits our son greatly.

My son...Benjamin Brian. A beautiful, blue eyed, 3 year old boy. Filled with joy, laughter and life. He loves to play any type of instrument, sing and dance. He is the light of my life and what I live for. I could not picture my life any other way. Like Kim said, when people find out I'm a single mom their faces turn to sympathetic looks of fear and they become apologetic for my "unfortunate" circumstance, but in reality I don't feel badly for myself. I have more then anyone else could ask for. I have a child whom loves me unconditionally for who I am, from morning to night. Who else has that kind of love?


So let me introduce my colleagues more so my best friends! Kim has gone into detail about how we met and to elaborate a bit, I would not have had the strength to be alone if it wasn't for her strength and influence as well as her charisma and positivity on the situation we both were facing. I met Kim in 2006 at wakestock in toronto. We were both looking for a good party and that is what brought us together. In the last 6 years we have been there for each other and our kids have practically grown up with one another. When I brought this idea about a self help website for single mothers she jumped on the opportunity and I could not be more excited to have her aboard!

Valerie!!!!! Well Valerie has been my absolute best friend since we were 12...more so she has been my sister. We have seen the storm together, laughed in the sun, gone through ups and downs and many roller coaster rides to get to where we are. Valerie was the first and official single mother of the group. I say this proud!!! She has a 6 year old daughter and has been single since her daughter was 4 months old. This young woman has accomplished so much and she stands tall, strong and level headed. I admire her and look up to her. She has always been my inspiration. So of course she would be the first I call on to take part in this wonderful journey in assisting to help young women of all kinds to succeed and embrace single motherhood. Love ya sista!

So now here we are the 3 of us about to take part in using our strengths and knowledge to help other mothers around the GTA or across the world for that matter to embrace this journey and realize there are many others like you out there struggling to do right and looking for answers. 

We are starting a website that will be launched in mid January. Please stay tuned for information on that. For now this blog will be used to share stories and chat about the ups and downs of single motherhood. Read along. 

- Staci 

No comments:

Post a Comment